ODN 0.00% 0.0¢ odin energy limited

Does anyone know if the light fittings need to be changed to led...

1. 2,244 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 155
    Does anyone know if the light fittings need to be changed to led dimmable fittings before hand?

Majority of light fittings world wide are high pressure sodium and metal halide which can not be dimmed, i was lucky enough to win a contract a couple years back with UGL installing new 130w GE led street lights in george street city and surrounding areas and they were worth up to $800 per unit, not cheap. This programmable logic controllers is $100 per unit, question is how does it save power on HPS and metal halide light fittings when the lamps need a certain amount of current where the ballast acts like a choke to limit the current and the capacitor is leveling out the power factor to keep the light efficient? The lights we installed in George Street city use between 70w and 130w and produce tje same amount of light as a 250w HPS light, the old HPS fittings which we removed were using 250 to 400w so there was a significant power reduction though the cost to supply and install the lights was significant.

From my experience the only things these devices can do for HPS and metal halide fittings is monitor power usage and turn them on or off.

Say they did act as a resistor or dimmer and did reduce the current thus reducing the power they would then build up alot of heat which will play a large role in the life of the device.

Maybe someone here has answers? Ill like to hear them!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ODN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.