donhoop...I do not disagree with anything you have posted...my...

1. 15,276 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 45
    donhoop...

I do not disagree with anything you have posted...my one concern however is that sometimes, laws designed by those more learned than us, to govern society for the "greater good", often ignore the plight of the individual...in this case, the victim.

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

I do not advocate an eye-for-an-eye form of punishment...rather, I support punishment that befits the crime!

I would also like to see greater victim participation in determining the overall level and type of punishment being applied...but only if the victims so desire.

Perhaps we could introduce a system which applys "special conditions" to the common forms of custodial punishment currently in use? These "special conditions" could be prepared within a general punishment framework...and via the judicial system, be assigned by the victims themselves.

I see this being arranged as a sort of adjunct to the sentencing process, with victims participating in a kind of mediation process with a legal representative. If handled correctly, it would in effect become a form of counciling for the victims.

The idea is not specifically to "punish" the criminals, but to give "power" back to the victims.

Cheers!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.