ESG 0.00% 86.5¢ eastern star gas limited

defensive takeover strategies, page-38

1. 16,270 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 399
    nervous

True there are OTHER greenhouse gases and one of the worst ones is methane .. and that's our business! That's why the "gassy" coal mines are receiving special attention in the carbon tax system that has been announced.

But I disgaree that CO2 is not a problem. Yes climates do change and earth systems do change .. that's the point of using the science ... that is, looking back at changes to climate that have occurred tells us what we can expect. When we had large species extinctions and dead oceans in the past it was when CO2 levels were very high. Some of the CO2 we emit goes into the atmosphere and stays there ... when it had been previously safely "sequestered" in coal, oil, and gas reservoirs or in vegetation. And some goes into the oceans as carbonic acid and this affects all sea life including algae that is responsible for "fixing" a lot of carbon. So if we severely reduce the natural "carbon sinks" by clearing the land of vegetation and killing off ocean organisms then we have a problem IMHO. Not just in terms of global warming but with regard to food production and species extinction. Worth doing something about .. I reckon so!

That's not to say that i believe that the system being introduced will fix the problem .. in many ways it is symbolic given we will still be exporting LARGE amounts of coal to be burned elsewhere .. unless other countries follow suit which is of course the hope (and to some extent the intention of our initiative).

H

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ESG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.