Depression is not a one-size-fits-all condition – we need a more...

1. 2,735 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 91

Depression is not a one-size-fits-all condition – we need a more nuanced approach to mental health

Sidney Bloch

A little bit more to add to this discussion.

From The Guardian today. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/20/depression-is-not-a-one-size-fits-all-condition-we-need-a-more-nuanced-approach-to-mental-health

This is such a widespread and important mental health issue, the more articles and discussions to foster understanding, and place
    pressure on Governments for better resources than reflexively referring to Beyond Blue or Black Dog, and thinking they have dealt
    with the issue.

Just a small snippet from my own working experience.
    I worked for about 15 years as a Psychiatric nurse in two Melbourne Prisons.
    One was a 'Psych' Unit in Pentridge.
    Small Spirax notebook left in a cell by one bloke had written in pencil inside the front cover:

"For the crimes I have committed, I sentence myself to death"
    On the surface that appears to be a bizarre and silly statement, but upon some deeper consideration, it raises
    several issues. Psychotic? genuine remorse? who does he think he is?, a Judge and Jury? or GOD?
    I followed this bloke up and found out he had killed himself about six months after his release from a relatively short sentence.
    Whatever his crime was, or what he was sentenced for I cannot remember, and I consider it irrelevant to this discussion.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.