^*^* depression coming soon *^*^, page-77

1. 4,941 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Hi Nickoo,

Thank you for the warning and the example.

Everything, however, depends upon your own individual circumstances and how they relate to the present, and the future.

Now for a measured response.

I own 6 properties, spread across Hawthorn, Balwyn, Bulleen, Doncaster East and in South Australia. Of these, I own 4 outright (ie: they are tenanted, positively geared, in good nick, and nothing is owed to the bank on them).

A 5th property has an amount owed on it (at last check, ~$50k, or <10%) and is being retired at the rate of $5,000 per month.

A 6th property is negatively geared, tenanted, is 18 months old, and is located int he Balwyn High School Zone.

My time horizon for property is >20 years. Indeed, more in the region of the next 30+ years.

I intend being in the workforce for the next 30 years, but will also start taking on professional company directorships sometime during the next 5 -10 years.

On the market, I am less than 10% invested, despite the fact of having ~$100k in the Australian market, close to that again overseas (in Europe), and having taken losses on both market exposures.

I also happen to sit in a VC Fund (Investment Committee) role which is on top of my normal day to day corporate job function.

Yes, property is not a good thing for he uninitiated, or for the fool hardy. Before selecting my last property, I researched different areas for ~7 months before making the final selection. That was in mid-2001.

Last year, as recently posted, I was also part of a syndicate with myaccountant (etc). We were going to buy a block of units in Essendon in need of redevelopment. We did our sums, but were then beaten on the day.

The value proposition for me is 1 to 1. If I cannot get that, I will not buy.

If, in the next 3 -5 years, no suitable opportunities arise, then I will not buy. But, if they do arise, then I will buy.

Then again, there is also the nature of another Bulleen property which in due course I will pick up, subject to expiry of the current life tenancy. When that comes, the property is large enough to be re-developed as 3 separate units on a hill top location with unimpeded views back towards the City.

I have been suitably warned, but that is also why I was buying when few others were doing so back in 1994 through 1997.

That's where I'll leave it for now. I still have some work to do towards New Zealand.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.