Depression - My Story

1. 553 Posts.
    Hi All,

Around 6 months I told of my battle with Depression and thought an update would hopefully spark some discussion on here.
    In July, my depression got worse and out of control once again - I became very depressed and began to experience suicidal idealations every hour. I was also suffering from sleep insomnia (I hour proper sleep each night whilst at the time working non stop at work. I was having child access issues once again and didn't see my daughter on Fathers Day (the ex said no). I also recently had a major cancer scare and severe sciatica to also deal with.
    I saw a counsellor a few times but was soon told that he was going on extended leave. This did not make matters easier for me.
    Many men keep their thoughts to themselves and I'm no different, thinking that certain thoughts will go away by themselves, but today I realise that its even braver to admit that one has a serious problem.
    In October 2014, I attempted suicide . Apparently I had collapsed near a bus stop and a stranger called an ambulance. I ended up in hospital for 15 days in a psych ward. There I was placed on new medication and received intensive assistance from psychiatrists, psychologists and nurses.
    I'm currently on sick leave and intend to go back to work next month. I still feel very depressed and suffer also from major anxiety, but now realise I'm on a slow path to recovery.
    I also realise that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. My workplace has been extremely supportive. Should anyone out there need help with depression etc, I suggest they discuss their problems with their doctor, Lifeline, Beyond Blue etc... I hope my post helps someone out there.
    Last edited by Sheepskin: 18/11/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.