Few thoughts, for what its worth coming from a personal...

1. 1,136 Posts.
    Few thoughts, for what its worth coming from a personal perspective after enduring some very dark years...

First thing for SIL (when out) is to get active. Doesn't matter what, just do not get into a housebound rut on medication. What the doctors are likely to give him will be both physically and mentally draining, so expect a lack of energy and of course enthusiasm. Not always easy, but those around need to remain upbeat. Walks, outings, BBQ's etc will help. Alcohol (a depressant) will not.

Mood stabiliser medications for most people leave no moods at all. No happy, no sad, just a flatline. May help for some, but best kept to a minimum and ditch ASAP imo.

A little truth SIL is going to have to come to terms with... "If its gunna be its up to me."

Tough love, but totally true. Drugs (maybe), counselling and family support (definitely) will help, but finally he is the one who has to mentally get off his arse and face the challenge of getting his life back on track. This will require some re-evaluation of a starting point, baby steps first, then a job. Won't be the first or last who has to realise that, but it doesn't mean the final goal has to change.

Tell him to say this to himself when it feels like hard going. Got drummed into me 20 years and I have never forgotten.

"If its gunna be its up to me."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.