Deradicalising In schools, what next, page-28

1. 8,256 Posts.
    I know a Turkish family here who moved to Australia to get away from the religious pressure back home. In fact, they were very secular even before they left Turkey, but felt they needed to leave for that very reason as it was difficult to get away from certain unavoidable pressures and expectations.

They were happily flying under the radar here enjoying life until contacts back in Turkey effectively dobbed them in to the relevant people - the end result was sudden contact and a fair degree of pressure from certain local (Turkish Australian) community representatives to try to bring them back to the fold. They were offered certain utility bills to be paid, together with totally free Private education at one of the local Islamic schools. To receive this, they were first required to attend the school for interviews of their kid, during which time the kid was separated in the interview and taken around the school and grilled on certain Islamic issues as well as questions about their family situation here. The teenager was pretty ignorant and purposely blase' on the pumping of info and those quizzing him gave up in disgust.

I believe the family have finally been given up on - I have not spoken to them for a little while to be able to ask them.
    Last edited by jessie1: 06/07/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.