Derryn Hinch tells millennials that owning a home is a dream, not a right, page-90

1. 28,688 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    What your parents and grandparents did has little relevance to today's world and the Australian economy. Easy enough to just repeat, like a mantra, what you (and I did) in our day. There is nothing like the security of tenure which the jobs of yesteryear provided. Nothing. This needs to be acknowledged.

However, I reckon kids (whether x y of mills) will find a way to survive. They just have to. But, it needs to be acknowledged, it won't be easy for them. A welfare collecting future is a very sad one for bright kids and I reckon those of you who can do nothing more than pile on the criticism of them (while sitting in their rocking chairs with their whisky, their house, and their fat bank accounts) does nothing to help them at all. "Get a better job" you say. Indicates your lack of understanding of the workplace of today. Enough written here to improve your understanding instead of just bleating the same old meaningless stuff such as that....

I spent 40 years in the workforce and worked in many different jobs, and also one job for many years. That was my choice. It was easy to walk out of one job and, within a day or two literally, walk into another with all the perks, entitlements, etc of full time employment. When I travelled to London, I recall a blackboard outside an office building asking for staff. I walked in, they tested my typing skills and English skills, and had a job to go to the next day. I was awaiting a job interview for secondary teaching and thought I'd pick up some extra cash while waiting those couple of weeks. Fast typing and good English and I was in. I was offered additional work on the Saturday because they reckoned Aussie women were hard workers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.