The "IF" part is what I have trouble understanding as I don't...

1. 2,064 Posts.
    The "IF" part is what I have trouble understanding as I don't see room for the thoughts of, if, buts and maybe's.

I think you probably have a fairly uncomplicated view of the situation and the answer is either black or white with no shades of grey.

I view things differently and I tend to see things in terms of probabilities rather than certainties.

Eg. when I go to bed at night, the probability that I will wake up next morning is currently very high, but by no means a certainty.

As I see it, there are only two possible explanations for how we got here, abiogenesis and creation.

The probability that we are the result of ONE of those two methods is 1.0, ie. certainty.

Each of us will have a different estimate of the probabilities of each option, such that the sum of the probabilities will be 1.0.

It sounds like you would assign values of 0.0 and 1.0 to abiogenesis and creation respectively, and I suspect an antitheist like Crom would assign values of 1.0 and 0.0 respectively.

The problem is that there is no definitive, irrefutable, scientific proof that we were created by God, or that God even exists, and I suspect that's the way God intended it because I think he wants us to make a choice between Him and Satan, which may be the reason He created us in the first place, viz to settle the dispute that arose which led to the war.

However, because there is no absolute proof, there is the possibility that we did in fact arise via abiogenesis so I can't assign it a probability of 0.0.

My life's experiences, plus what I have learned in recent years, cause me to consider the probability to be very low, but not zero, therefore I could be wrong, and that's where the "IF" part comes in.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.