OAK 0.00% 6.9¢ oakridge international limited

Discover Bus in Australia, page-20

1. 1,242 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 687
    That didn't make much sense, did it?

At the moment, the standards governing 6LowPAN networks do not allow for registration of 'things' onto multiple IoT gateways. This is a weakness in the IoT world, because in general multiple redundancy is expected in industrial, medical and commercial situations.

With things only allowed to register once, the failure of a gateway means the failure of the entire personal area network. I think this is probably just a concession to facilitate the development of IoT, and that changes will be ratified in the near future to ensure the robustness of the system. It is, however, an indication (once again) of the fact that the entire IoT world has been built from the 'top down', rather than the 'bottom up' ... as I discussed in one of my posts some time ago ...( http://hotcopper.com.au/posts/19234190/single ) and that has led to some compromises being made at the 'bottom' end, which will not be acceptable in critical situations (think large plant or medical equipment).

The discoverbus network employs nodes, which have the same limitation as gateways in that they can only be registered once, and so the failure of a node means the failure of the network in that area. A dual redundant system, where each thing is connected to multiple nodes and gateways ensures a robust network for critical systems.

Xped has the tools to take advantage of this the moment the change is made. I honestly can't overstate how important this development of system architecture is to making IoT practical in so much more than small businesses and homes. VX and Xped have taken a very important step ....

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OAK (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.