WDS 1.66% $26.64 woodside energy group ltd

Congratulations to those who have held the stock for over 2...

1. 107 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    Congratulations to those who have held the stock for over 2 years such as myself, when there were long durations the market didn’t agree with the investment thesis. However, I think its probably time we discussed what could potentially halt the rocket at least in the short term.

With the range of geo political issues on at the moment, I feel its pretty difficult to ascertain what could happen in the short term. However, one thing we do know is that the BHP merger will go ahead and I am keen to move my thinking to better understand how the extra millions of shares being issued to BHP shareholders, could impact the short to near term WPL stock price. Clearly, we will be getting their oil assets without any debt and the market seems to think its better deal for Woodside.

Yes there is the risk of extra shares and risk of extra selling but the counter is index weight goes up and these extra shares could be mopped up. There is also noise about a dual listing in the US but I cant understand how this could benefit ASX shareholders if someone could share any light. Does the dual listing have any correlation to the ASX after it lifts, thereby if fund managers in the US get stuck in, then it basically gives the ASX and uplift as well?

I have also been concerned is the potential of ESG conscious BHP shareholders dumping the stock. Therefore, I had a look at the top ten shareholders of both Woodside and BHP and the data is quite interesting. Basically the same top 10 shareholders own close to 60% of the stock with the top two owning essentially 40% of both businesses. Thus, you would think from an ESG perspective we should be safe albeit I realise some of the shareholdings are way of nominee which can be complicated. Hopefully the data below helps other holders.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4148/4148855-1f91fdb774b81685971ab5c5506f14d7.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$26.64
Change
-0.450(1.66%)
Mkt cap ! $50.58B
Open High Low Value Volume
$27.00 $27.07 $26.64 $139.2M 5.194M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 200 $26.63

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$26.70 76 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 29/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.