It seems you married the girl for the right reasons which is a...

1. 12,390 Posts.
    It seems you married the girl for the right reasons which is a good start. Obviously the overseas factor certainly complicates things when there's a child involved. Usually an amicable split isn't all that difficult when maturity is shown by both parties, and there's fairness to all involved exercised. Things usually turn to crap when there's greed or revenge as the motive. It would seem like a case of either both staying in the same country or settling on sporadic custody access. If she has shown her cards and gone down the legal route then of course you will need to do the same to maintain balance. As for some of the advice i've read in here I'd be careful to not leap into a legal tussle before it's warranted as they are expensive and long winded. I sense that advice from HC members has probably been more to do with s/e asian marriages which usually are not done for the right reasons and more for convenience, which more or less are akin to a financial/ security arrangement. That being the case, when they break down there's more of a need to engage legal representation with much more urgency.
    Stay friendly and amicable and keep the communication lines open, and remember the most important one to consider is the child. Another thing, if you do manage to agree to a solution with your ex then I strongly advise to have it ratified by the courts, as if and when people meet new partners things can change very quickly.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.