Also, I think as a Trader, you cannot claim CGT exemption. So if...

1. 12 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Also, I think as a Trader, you cannot claim CGT exemption. So if you do happen to hold some shares for over 12 months and make a tidy profit when you sell....you can't claim that CGT. Which.....to my basic understanding, would normally mean that half of the profit above your original capital, is exempt from tax, and you only declare the income of the remaining amount and pay tax on that. So you'd miss out on that scenario. And I think there might be some implications about franked credits with dividends as well. If you are definitely only intraday/short-term trading...then not an issue. But if you happen to hold some stock for more than a year.... then the CGT issue might affect you. That said, I don't think it is up to you as to whether you are classified as a Trader or an Investor, I think the ATO does this on a case-by-case basis and looks at your volume and frequency of trading, other income relative to your trading income, your training and qualifications etc. I think there is actually something like this on the ATO website.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.