Jim Thanks for bringing that artist to my attention...he...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    Jim
    Thanks for bringing that artist to my attention...he certainly does a lot of horse paintings, and I like the cattle and droving stuff. I wonder if he is horsey though.
    My only little critique, is he is like the majority of artists who paint horses these days. They cannot get the bottom of the legs right, with the fetlocks and the hooves, so there is always turf or snow etc to cover up the bottom of the legs.
    I met someone once, she was reasonably famous for her horse paintings, fetching in the $$$$$ for them. She loved the horses, but was not familiar with them, so she could not get the muscles, and legs and movements right. To someone who is familiar with horses, the horses in the paintings look dodgy, crooked, disjointed, there is no way we could hang them. The majority of people are simply happy with a pretty face or scene and do not notice the difference.

Now here are 2 excellent paintings by the artist Jacques-Louis David.
    I could paint similar beautiful horses, but unless I was reasonably well known with a big following, I would be lucky to make enough money to buy a schooner of beer.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.