I think Australians have implicitly held notions relating to...

1. 369 Posts.
    I think Australians have implicitly held notions relating to equality, such that we believe in the equal treatment of people, and the rights of individuals to have a 'fair go'. But with that comes the denial of 'special treatment' for anyone, the idea of all things being equal for everyone and an emphasis on conformity with the dominant Anglo-Saxon culture.

To some extent Australians are culturally blind, indifferent towards cultural differences, and perhaps uninterested in learning about other cultures, or resistant to understanding the experiences of other cultures as Australians. It may well be that some Australian's just haven't encountered or interacted with people from other cultures - and hence have limited experience, which leads them to rely solely on media portrayals or other impressionistic stereotypes...

I notice a trend in Australian culture to downplay cultural differences -rather than seeking to respectfully recognise and acknowledge these differences, with consideration to our own cultural norms. Once acknowledged and understood we can move beyond tolerance to acceptance of such differences. From personal experience I know that this can be a difficult and confronting process, but also a rewarding one which enriches and strengthens the connection to ones own culture and the relationships to other cultures.
    Last edited by parrallax: 09/10/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.