DrewMichael, Maybe it just all comes down to how we individually...

1. 27,508 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    DrewMichael,

Maybe it just all comes down to how we individually interpret words.

The definition of faith that I was using is simply that it (faith) is an absolute unshakable belief in something and is not open to challenge or discussion. Many I have met see their religion in this light.

I was trying to point out that scientific enquiry has no such beliefs - its basis is that everything is open to challenge and can be shown to be incorrect or require rethinking.

I wouldn't jump out an aeroplane based on faith that I will land safely because I can't be absolutely certain that I will be safe. I will only do so if properly instructed and the equipment is checked by experts. Even then I can't guarantee that I will land safely - accidents show this point to be correct. All I can say is that the chances of success are high enough to warrant taking the risk.

I could have a high degree of confidence that I would have a happy experience, but could never be absolutely certain - to me that excludes faith.

I am happy living in a world in which certainty is not an option open to us, but in a world in which we constantly try to assess the probably of statements being true and of outcomes of actions turning out as predicted to make decisions. Investors, I suspect, are more aware of this than most people.

Other definitions of faith may have other outcomes.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.