Dog Escaping, page-6

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    Young dogs simply want to explore. It's up to you to make them safe. An electronic collar seems a poor substitute for training.
    Erect an additional barrier over the stone fence.

What is the dog's life like? Do you all go off to work all day and leave the dog alone? How is that, if it happens, for the dog?
    For dogs their lives are all about being close to their family which is now you. They are pack animals and you are now their pack.

As a dog trainer, I've had countless people complain "Fido is just so naughty!"
    A few questions elicit the unsurprising revelation that Fido has had no obedience training (they just thought he'd somehow know what was expected of him), is not exercised for an hour morning and again at night, is not left with any mentally challenging toys whilst the family is away all day, and then is pushed aside when he exhibits his huge welcome to them when they arrive home tired at night.

Truly, I have to ask: why do some people get a dog?
    If you can't provide them with the companionship and training they need, you should not subject them to a second class life.
    Dogs give us the most extraordinary devotion and loyalty. If you cannot, in return, give them the love and companionship of a family, find someone who will.
    I've probably spent about 2000 hours training each of my puppies/young adult dogs. As a result they are well mannered, happy participants in the community.

PS Vets usually know very little about training.  Your local phone book will have a Canine Obedience Club where you can take your dog for you to learn how to train the dog.
    Do not expect anyone to train your dog for you.  It is your dog, your responsibility.
    Last edited by Enn: 12/10/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.