I'm not the only one who groups dogs based on their...

1. 7,761 Posts.
    I'm not the only one who groups dogs based on their breeds:

"

"FATAL DOG ATTACKS"
    The Stories Behind the Statistics
    by Karen Delise

THE STATISTICS - FATAL DOG ATTACKS IN THE U.S. FROM 1965 - 2001 *

The study covers 431 documented human fatalities from a dog attack.

Location of Attack
    25% of all fatal attacks were inflicted by chained dogs
    25% resulted from dogs loose in their yard
    23% occurred inside the home
    17% resulted from attacks by dogs roaming off their property
    10% involved leashed dogs or miscellaneous circumstances

Number of Dogs
    68% of all fatal attacks were inflicted by a single dog
    32% was the result of a multiple dog attack

Victim Profile
    79% of all fatal attacks were on children under the age of 12
    12% of the victims were the elderly, aged 65 - 94
    9% of the victims were 13 - 64 years old

The age group with the highest number of fatalities were children under the age of 1 year old; accounting for 19% of the deaths due to dog attack. Over 95% of these fatalities occurred when an infant was left unsupervised with a dog(s).

The age group with the second-highest number of fatalities were 2-year-olds; accounting for 11% of the fatalities due to dog attack. Over 87% of these fatalities occurred when the 2-year-old child was left unsupervised with a dog(s) or the child wandered off to the location of the dog(s).

Boys aged 1 - 12 years old were 2.5 times more likely to be the victim of a fatal dog attack than girls of the same age.

Breeds Involved
    Pit Bull and Pit-bull-type dogs (21%), Mixed breed dogs (16%),
    Rottweilers (13%), German Shepherd Dogs (9%), Wolf Dogs (5%),
    Siberian Huskies (5%), Malamutes (4%), Great Danes (3%),
    St. Bernards (3%), Chow Chows (3%), Doberman Pinschers (3%),
    other breeds & non-specified breeds (15%).

Reproductive Status of Dogs
    Overwhelmingly, the dogs involved in fatal dog attacks were unaltered males.
    From 2000-2001 there were 41 fatal dog attacks. Of these, 28 were attacks by a single dog and 13 fatalities were caused by multiple dogs.

Of the 28 single dogs responsible for a fatal attack between 2000-2001;
    26 were males and 2 were females. Of the 26 males, 21 were found to be intact (the reproductive status of the remaining 5 males dogs could not be determined)."

and

"Rottweilers by contrast show a fairly normal child/adult attack ratio. They seem to show up disproportionately often in the mauling, killing, and maiming statistics simply because they are both quite popular and very powerful, capable of doing a great deal of damage in cases where bites by other breeds might be relatively harmless."

source: http://www.melbourne-petminders.com.au/Dangerous_Dog%20_Attacks.htm

Rottweilers may be fine with their family, but are known to be extremely protective of same, and can react quite differently when strangers are about. Some rottweiler owners are quite proud of this fact.

I have made a conscious choice in my selection of dog breed to ensure that they are not a breed that appears on any dog-attack register.

I also view my actions when walking my dogs as MY RESPONSIBILITY, that is to children and adults. I must regard the interaction of my animals with people in the park or street as part of that care and will err on the side of caution for their sake, giving humans right of way on the path and ensuring my dogs do not cause a problem in the park.

Cheers,
    Tangrams

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.