Thanks for the explanation. Having studied economics (but never...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7958
    Thanks for the explanation.

Having studied economics (but never professionally practiced the dismal science), I could immediately relate to your "Scarcity + Utility" descriptor.

However, is this thing really that scarce? I see numerous potential proxies for it; it seems every day I read about this stuff I come across a new and/or different cryptocurrency that presents as an alternative to bitcoin. Seems to the knucklehead in me that some smart people are "creating" (for want of a better technical term) cryptocurrency and therefore the number of potential cryptocurrency variations is limited only by the number of smart people that exist in the world.

And then, the question of its utility value: here I am a bit flummoxed because I can't see what bitcoin does/can do/will do that will render the role of the current suite of good, old-fashioned currencies obsolete? I readily concede that, being the wrong side of 50, I am handicapped by being a techno-Luddite as well as by a genetic pre-disposition of a distinct lack of visionary ability.

Finally, Part B to my question: even if it is accepted that bitcoin is both scarce and useful, we then get to the all-important question of how it should be priced.

For a "regular" [*] currency, there are economic backings to the level at which that currency is roughly priced (give or take 25%). For example, when the A$ weakens/strengthens materially - say by 50% either way - against cross rates, there are practical outworkings of those movements on the real economy, meaning that there are certain self-moderating mechanisms that naturally come into play.

So economic participants can make a very good determination of the shape of the bell curve for the level of the A$. Ditto for other currencies.

But for bitcoin?

Is it worth $1,000?
    Or $10,000?
    Or $100,000?
    Or $1,000,000?

And, most importantly, why?

[*] Or "fiat", if one is so inclined

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.