"don't patronise me, primeminister", page-106

1. 749 Posts.
    "I Gave you a thumbs up gupper, lets see how long it survives!"

Thanks, Denben.

Fortunately, I harbour no illusions regarding the criteria employed by most when awarding a "thumbs-up"; and I say that despite having garnered a few for stock commentary over the years. The day you start chasing votes, you're better off running for office.

All I wish is that people would rate the quality of the thought and expression rather than whether it accords with their views. The French philosopher Voltaire had a bit to say on this matter a while back I seem to recall.

I often find myself grudgingly acknowledging a grain of truth in the views of those whose political inclinations I do not share - Peter Costello and Malcolm Turnbull for instance. Both are intelligent, thoughtful commentators on many aspects of Australian life (and both are Republicans!) and I enjoy their wit and articulate expression even if I don't subscribe to 'trickle-down' economics. Turnbull, for my money, along with Petro Georgiou, are amongst the few principled politicians of recent times. Both were prepared to sacrifice their careers for the sake of their values - although I suspect we haven't seen the last of Malcolm.

If only we had a few more on this forum prepared to weigh posts objectively, rather than simply back-slapping those who reflect their views and voting down those who challenge their smug assumptions.

And I look forward to the day too when our porcine friends levitate... lol

Ah well, the world is what it is.

Gupper

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.