GYM gympie gold limited

dont sound too good.

1. 4,217 Posts.
    70. Southland Colliery Emergency 291203 Page 1 of 3
    ASX & AIM Announcement
    29 December 2003
    Southland Colliery Emergency
    Principal Points:
    • The “heating” problem at the Southland Colliery announced on 24 December 2003
    became an emergency and escalated into a fire on 25 December 2003.
    • The fire has been suppressed by ventilation changes and further contained by
    circulation of inert gases which are now choking oxygen supply.
    • Gympie Gold’s wholly-owned subsidiary Southland Coal is considering its operational
    options at Southland Colliery with Joint Venturer and Alliance Partner Thiess.
    • An expert working group is evaluating the status of the combustion and damage to
    mine workings and equipment.
    • The mine is in the process of being sealed in a manner to allow re-entry or possibly
    closure if safety or economic considerations dictate.
    • It may remain unsafe to re-enter the mine for a protracted period and the situation
    could have serious implications for the future of Southland Coal.
    • The financial impact is currently unquantifiable.
    • The Board of Gympie Gold is considering options for the protection of all
    stakeholders’ interests.
    • At the request of Directors, the ASX has suspended trading in the Company’s
    securities. The Company is seeking a parallel a suspension of trading on AIM.
    Recent Events:
    The evacuation of the Southland Colliery, announced on 24 December 2003, has worsened
    to the status of an emergency.
    Following the escalation of the “heating” into a fire on 25 December 2003 and the fire’s
    subsequent containment, the Company awaits the result of an ongoing investigation by an
    expert working group into the status of the combustion and its effect on current mine
    workings and production.
    ABN 88 000 759 535
    70. Southland Colliery Emergency 291203 Page 2 of 3
    Background to the Southland Spontaneous Combustion Emergency Situation:
    • On 23 December, gas monitoring equipment detected elevated gas levels in the mine
    and precautionary actions were triggered under the mine’s Safety Management Plan,
    pending analysis and interpretation.
    • On 24 December, the situation was interpreted with expert input as one of serious
    safety risk and the Company so informed its key stakeholders, the emergency
    services and the community near the mine and announced the existence of the
    problem to both the Australian and London Stock Exchanges. It appeared that the
    mined-out area adjacent to the current SL4 longwall panel had developed a
    “heating”, indicating increased potential for spontaneous combustion of in-situ coal.
    • On 25 December, the heating worsened and a fire commenced underground, which
    was suppressed by further changes to mine ventilation. On 27 December, further
    containment was effected by injection into the mine of suppression gases, which are
    now choking oxygen supply to the fire.
    • The mine is in the process of being sealed in a manner which will allow flexibility as
    to re-entry or ultimately permanent closure, if such a course is dictated by safety or
    economic considerations.
    Current Analysis of the Situation:
    • Expert personnel and advisors, as well as the Mines Inspectorate and Union
    representatives, continue to participate in controlling the emergency.
    • Safety takes the highest priority. The community has been kept informed
    continuously, as have the emergency services.
    • In light of the rapid escalation of this heating into a fire and the consequential
    emergency situation, it may remain unsafe to re-enter the mine for a protracted
    period.
    The Future of Southland Coal and the Gympie Gold Group:
    • Time has not permitted all of the issues to be fully evaluated and discussed with all
    the relevant parties between 24 December and today. However, it must be
    recognised that the situation could ultimately threaten the future of Southland Coal
    and will have serious financial implications for the Gympie Gold Group.
    • Directors and management are reviewing the situation and holding discussions with
    major suppliers, lenders and with other interested parties to determine the immediate
    course of action.
    • The Board of Gympie Gold is considering options for the protection of all
    stakeholders’ interests.
    • In view of the current unavailability of reliable information as to the financial impact of
    the problem, the Directors have requested, and the ASX has granted, the suspension
    of trading in the Company’s securities. The Company is seeking a parallel
    suspension of trading on AIM, pending both the outcome of this week’s discussions
    and the receipt of further information on the impact of underground damage.
    Until the occurrence of the emergency situation, Southland Coal’s prospects were strong.
    Large contract volumes to customers worldwide had been secured, including many term
    contracts. Product price negotiations had been completed with most customers for price
    increases exceeding 20% for the year commencing 1 April 2004. Technical studies of further
    expansion possibilities of the Southland Colliery had also been advancing.
    The Board of Gympie Gold wishes to extend its thanks to the many people who have given
    up their holiday period to assist in the containment and suppression of the combustion at
    Southland Colliery.

I dont own GYM.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GYM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.