GSL 0.00% 17.0¢ greatcell solar limited

Dont we all have double bottoms. I do, its got a crack in it!...

1. 824 Posts.
    Dont we all have double bottoms. I do, its got a crack in it! Come to think of it so has my investment performance.

But call me suspicious or just daft. The capital requirement that this company has in terms of scaling up production to meet the demands of a fully operational coated steel plant are massive. They just cant do it IMO.

One of the big industrial chemical producers will have to do it. And a big player wont invest in the required plant without a big share of the action. They wont be happy to put millions up for a toll manufacturing contract.

A capital raising may be needed to keep us going for a while longer. But when we move into a large scale production phase we will need a big player either as a JV partner or as our owner.

The genius of our original management was to do deals that linked long term supply of materials to the sharing of IP and development. Even if others are out there playing with DSC, two (or more) of the biggest players (and early adopters) are tied to us. It makes DYE are very attractive play in the longer term.

Whether we have carbon taxes or emissions trading or neither. The idea of buildings, like a bunnings, generating electricity from the coating of its steel is pretty amazing. And if you look at the original motivation of corus when they got into this project it was their realisation that steel was going to be a long term loser when the push against carbon came. Their idea was to reduce the overall carbon footprint of steel production through a green steel - one that saved carbon when it was used not made. Pretty smart thinking IMO.

While I support the campaign of bluescope against the carbon tax here, it is a real pity that it didnt see the potential of DSC like corus did. While it wouldnt have changed the carbon equation for their steel plants, it certainly would have given BSC some cred that it could have leveraged in the present debate. A billion on a DSC coated steel production line may well have be better than the now cancelled investment in a CO-gen at port kembla! I can rant hey!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GSL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.