MCC 0.00% $16.01 macarthur coal limited

Trying to work out the possibility of any competing bid is a...

1. 2,915 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 273
    Trying to work out the possibility of any competing bid is a tricky exercise due to the various fingers in the MCC pie but I'll take a stab at it. I think that Posco would feel very uncomfortable about it's rival Arcelor Mittal('AM') gaining control with Peabody so it would be a potential rival bidder but would presumably also want to do a JV if it is not prepared to live with it's rival controlling MCC. On the other hand it may be prepared to live with AM's JV control subject to appropriate undertakings.

I don't know much about Citic but it does appear to be a hands on investor so it can't be excluded and it does have the largest holding. FIRB approval could be an issue but ATM it seems that at least around 48% is already foreign owned. There may be other Industry players interested but I suspect the messy register could put many off.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a rival bid but on balance I suspect it may not happen. If so, the most likely outcome may end up a negotiation that results in the AM JV increasing it's bid to secure Board approval. I can't see a bid less than $16.50 having a chance of Board approval having regard to the earlier offers and the steps since taken by MCC to expand the business.

ANZ

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MCC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.