AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

Fyi, I see Rio is still trying to build their Battery Materials...

1. 5,602 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3059
    Fyi, I see Rio is still trying to build their Battery Materials portfolio, as

Rio Tinto places more chips on lithium

Rio Tinto has doubled down on its diversification into lithium, outlaying US$825 million to take over Argentine brine explorer Rincon Mining.

The company, part of the portfolio of private equity player Sentient Equity Partners, will see Rio make a big splash in the new energy commodity, with the company also aiming to develop its US$2.4 billion Jadar mine in Serbia.

Jadar carries significant risks of Rio with the frosty reception local communities and environmentalists have given the Anglo-Australian mining giant, culminating in large protest rallies over the past month and the suspension by local authorities of a zoning plan to support the mine’s development.

Rincon has technical risks.

While most Argentine lithium brines are processed into lithium carbonate with large, water intensive evaporation ponds, Rio plans to use direct lithium extraction techniques instead.

Excitement about that method of extracting lithium and the rising force of the market for the battery metal has underpinned Lake Resources into market darling status this year.

Rincon holds 83,000 hectares of territory on the Salar del Rincon in the Salta Province, part of Argentina’s Lithium Triangle.

Rio says the DLE tech proposed for the project could significantly increase recoveries compared to solar evaporation ponds, with a pilot plant currently operating on site.

Key to Rio’s push into lithium — its chosen form of exposure to the battery and EV thematic against BHP’s commitment to nickel — is backed by its belief in the forecast fundamentals.

Rio says lithium demand is forecast to grow 25-35% each year over the next decade with a “significant supply demand deficit expected from the second half of this decade”.

It also feeds into Rio’s promise to decarbonise its portfolio, the subject of a US$7.5 billion infrastructure pledge this decade.

“This acquisition is strongly aligned with our strategy to prioritise growth capital in commodities that support decarbonisation and to continue to deliver attractive returns to shareholders,” Rio CEO Jakob Stausholm said.

“The Rincon project holds the potential to deliver a significant new supply of battery grade lithium carbonate, to capture the opportunity offered by the rising demand driven by the global energy transition.”

“It is expected to be a long life, low-cost asset that will continue to build the strength of our Battery Materials portfolio, with our combined lithium assets spanning the US, Europe and South America.”

Rio will conduct studies and environmental assessments once it takes Rincon on, and upgrade its N43-101 resource to JORC 2012 standard.

The deal requires Australian FIRB approval, which is expected in the first half of 2022.

Stockhead.png

Rio Tinto to acquire Rincon lithium project

Rio Tinto dropped by 2 per cent to $99.35 on news that it has entered into a binding agreement to acquire the Rincon lithium project in Argentina from Rincon Mining for $US825 million ($1.2 billion).

The company said the acquisition demonstrates Rio Tinto's commitment to build its battery materials business and strengthen its portfolio for the global energy transition.

"The Rincon project holds the potential to deliver a significant new supply of battery-grade lithium carbonate, to capture the opportunity offered by the rising demand driven by the global energy transition," Rio Tinto's chief executive Jakob Stausholm said.

"It is expected to be a long life, low-cost asset that will continue to build the strength of our battery materials portfolio, with our combined lithium assets spanning the US, Europe and South America."

Rincon is a large undeveloped lithium brine project located in the heart of the lithium triangle in the Salta province of Argentina, an emerging hub for greenfield projects.

Rio said the project is a long life, scaleable resource capable of producing battery-grade lithium carbonate.

It said the direct lithium extraction technology proposed for the project has the potential to significantly increase lithium recoveries as compared to solar evaporation ponds.

A pilot plant is currently running at the site and further work will focus on continuing to optimise the process and recoveries.

www.abc.net.au/news/

View attachment 3914810

They ( Rio) know it, We know it, The DRC / Felix knows it, as the World transitions to it

Food for thought on the Road to Mining Manono via Rio de Janeiro

Cheers

Frank

*To remind,

Rio Tinto considers new African mine

Mining giant Rio Tinto is expected to make a final investment decision on an African iron ore project next year, according to Sky News business reporter Edward Boyd.

If it chooses to go ahead with the project, it could threaten Australia’s iron ore industry.

Rio Tinto is looking to buy the Simandou mine in Guinea, Africa, which is one of the largest iron ore mines in Africa.

The mine will cost the company approximately US$15 billion or more to develop the project as it will need to construct a 700-kilometre railway line from the mine to a port, which it will also need to build.

Rio Tinto will make a decision at the beginning of next year and if it decides to go ahead, it is expected to be producing iron ore by 2026.

#Hmmm.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.