Just as well Marg, you were probably better off with the driving...

1. 1,844 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    Just as well Marg, you were probably better off with the driving school! I was spared the 'wrath' of my father teaching me how to drive, thank goodness! He wasn't the most patient person, to say the least!

Ok, so here's a bit of a 'laugh', on how I got my licence, at 17 years old. It's a doozy!!

It was back in the day, when your local policeman got in the car with you and instructed you, on what to do. So, I was parked in the side alley of the police station and when we were ready to go, I drove down the alleyway and when I turned to go out onto the street, I turned right instead of left, and the policeman was 'yelling' - "You're driving on the wrong side of the road"!! We were both panicking, because I couldn't immediately turn around, as there was a 'traffic island' between the roads. Luckily, no cars were coming towards me (at that stage), so I was just able make it to the end of the road, to where I was able to turn around and go the right way!!

I was so embarrassed and thought, OMG how STUPID! After we both 'got over' the shock, he then kind of laughed about it and said, "Ok, continue on and see if you can do a bit better than that!!" LOL I don't really remember too much, of what he had me do after that, as I was so mortified, on what I had done, and upset that I ruined any chance of getting my licence that day. (I just put it down, to being a very nervous little teen, about doing the whole driving test and temporarily losing my 'marbles' along the way). Well, that's my excuse, anyway!

So, after the rest of my short little jaunt around town, when we got back to the station, he told the sergeant about the big blunder I made. So, of course expecting them to both say, "NO licence for you this time, come back another day," I was in for a surprise.

The sergeant said - "I don't know, should we let her have her licence or not? How about we toss a coin, and if it's heads she gets it, and if it's tails she doesn't." So, he flips a coin, and says - "It's heads, you get your licence, off you go"!!! LOL - Needless to say, I was gobsmacked! I couldn't believe it! Talk about the 'coolest cops' in town!

Now, what are the chances of them doing that, these days?? LOL

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.