driving offence, page-20

1. 931 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    re: driving offence - tradein Aflatoon, as I mentioned before I got done about 9 months ago and am about to get my licence back after 6 month suspension. My speed was excessive but the reading was still above what I believed I was doing. My Sister is a crown (not police) prosecutor and her advice to me was this.

* A highway patrol (not normal police) officers view is admissable as evidence in court. They don't even have to have a lidar/radar reading. They are qualified and certified to be able to judge a cars speed from sight.

* If you want to get off on a technicality, it can happen but be prepared to spend up big on QCs, SCs etc and endure a lengthy court process and hope that you have a very good case. Even if you do win, it's still probably not worth it.

*your average solicitor will have bugger all chance in getting you off on a technicality. (no offence to anyone)

*in my case I had a large fine and automatic disqualification so my best case was to take it to court, plead guilty but ask for a reduction in the fine or disqualification period based on previous record etc

*This was the path I took and was very happy with the outcome. I represented myself, its not worth paying a solicitor as long as you're comfortable with speaking and handling some mild interrogation and it was definitely worth it.

*If you are going to lose your licence solely based on demerit points and not for an automatic disqualification then in NSW you can opt for a 12-month probation period. During this time you only have two points and if u lose these then your original suspension is doubled and implemented.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.