AFL 3.70% 14.0¢ af legal group ltd

drug cheats

1. 2,882 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    WESTERN Bulldog Jason Akermanis has revealed the name of an opponent he accused of drug taking to sport's anti-doping authority.

Akermanis said the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority called him to discuss the claim made in a newspaper column last week.

The Bulldogs midfielder gave the player's name and said he hoped the authority investigated the matter.

"They (ASADA) rang yesterday and, yes, we had a discussion about it. We'll see what happens," Akermanis said on radio SEN.

"If they don't catch him, fair enough, but if (they) do, good, because I think there's a few of us who think it's not an even playing field on occasions."

ASADA yesterday confirmed it has spoken to Akermanis but would not say if it would investigate his claims.

Akermanis had said he suspected an opponent during his Brisbane Lions days was taking the drug EPO because of that player's vastly improved performance. The drug increases a person's physical endurance.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said last week Akermanis' comments were stupid and baseless. "There's nothing to support those comments … and I treat them with the disdain that they deserve. It may just be that Jason got beaten on the day by an opponent," Demetriou said.

Akermanis said he had not been contacted by Demetriou but that the AFL's medical officer rang him yesterday. Akermanis said the league should do more to investigate claims of drug taking in sport. "I understand the AFL's point of view, I understand that they are always very protective of their brand," he said.

"Andrew's right — I was beaten on the day, but I've been beaten on the day many times. But there is a point in an athlete's career when you go: 'There's something not right'.

"As the leader of our organisation, I think you should support your players if there's a problem."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AFL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
14.0¢
Change
0.005(3.70%)
Mkt cap ! $12.78M
Open High Low Value Volume
12.5¢ 14.0¢ 12.3¢ $60.08K 453.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 47699 13.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
14.0¢ 13540 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AFL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.