SBN 0.00% 0.0¢ sun biomedical limited

Thanks and so true Vintage- it is just so hard to imagine things...

1. 1,017 Posts.
    Thanks and so true Vintage- it is just so hard to imagine things not changing significantly in the area of drug testing with the myriad of articles and examples of individuals who appear to be out of control. The frequency of poor choice making is clearly impacting not only their own lives but also the lives of others as clearly indicated in the article below regarding a P-plate driver doped to the eyeballs killing himself and in the whole pathetic process, two other innocent drivers who happened to be in wrong place at the wrong time! There is also reference made to a previous incident at his workplace that resulted in his eventual dismissal. All pretty sad stuff really but similar events would appear to be on the rise in today's society.

Here is the article that appeared in the Herald Sun on 30th August 2008

P-plate killer driver doped up, Coroner's Court told

August 30, 2008 12:00am

A P-PLATE driver high on mind-altering drug GHB was driving on the wrong side of the Geelong Freeway when his car ploughed head-on into an oncoming vehicle, killing two men.

The Coroner's Court was told a blood sample showed Lindsay McPhee, 19, still had 100 times the natural levels of gamma hydroxybutyvate in his blood 90 minutes after the horrific smash that killed Geelong workmates Damian Willey, 29, and Paul Stuart, 31, on February 16 last year.

McPhee, who died of injuries sustained in the crash, had five other drugs as well as the GHB in his system at the time, including a low level of methamphetamine, commonly known as speed.

Just a week before the crash, McPhee lost his job because of suspicions he was under the influence of drugs, when he jack-knifed a rotary hoe trailer.

On the same day, he was cautioned by a police sergeant for possessing a drug of dependence.

Two months earlier, in December 2006, McPhee suffered a drug overdose during a rave party at Kryal Castle, Ballarat, and was rushed to hospital.

Police yesterday told the inquest it was obvious McPhee had been heavily involved with illicit drugs and his drug problem appeared to be escalating.

Leading Sen-Constable Roz Wilson told the court McPhee was so drug-affected on the night of the crash that he probably didn't realise he had driven almost 4km on the wrong side of the freeway.

She said she later found a vial of GHB on the front seat of McPhee's car.

"The effects of this drug are consistent with McPhee being either in a confused state, disorientated or even unconscious, which resulted in the death of Stuart and Willey," she said.

Forensic physician Morris Odell told the inquest McPhee, of Point Cook, was so intoxicated on GHB he would have been incapable of safely driving his car.

McPhee was pronounced brain dead after five days on life support in the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

After the coronial inquiry into the deaths of the three men, the heartbroken parents of Paul Stuart called for laws to be changed so that drivers found with drugs were instantly stripped of their licences.

The devastated partners of the two mates, each of whom were engaged to be married this year, said they would never forgive, or forget.

Mother of two Cara Gill, who had given birth to Mr Stuart's first child just months before he was killed, said: "I can't forgive, I can't forget. (But) I have my son, I live for my children."

Laura Russell, who was due to marry Mr Willey in October, said: "He (McPhee) deserves what he got. I hate to say it, but he does. I will never forgive him."

Coroner Paresa Santos will hand down her finding next Friday.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SBN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.