duck shooting, page-25

1. 5,428 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I gave my rifle away an the aftermath of Port Arthur. I liked shooting, mostly rabbits and foxes. Shooting rats in the chookhouse was a very convenient way to sort them out. I used ratshot in the old 22 rifle. Now they. look me in the eye, cunning beggars. I'm sure you rodent lovers would be interested to know there is a legal limit for rat hair in some foodstuffs.

I actually liked shooting rabbits and then turning the game into a casserole. I remember rabbit with beer dumplings was a particular favourite. I like duck shooting too but haven't done it for years.Duck hunting is highly regulated. Being predominantly herbivores, ducks breed prolifically in good seasons, on improved country. When seasons aren't good there is no open season. NSW has a game bird management program which is very restrictive. It does reduce the damage ducks do to rice crops when we are lucky enough to get a crop in.

So, holier than hunter vegetarians, if you have ever eaten NSW rice, thank the duck hunters who protect your food supply.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.