Dutton does not understand capitalism, page-15

1. 47,850 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 649
    "bad cops" have been a problem since the dawn of towns. and "good cops" have tended to be ostracised when the problem dominates a given unit. 20 years ago prison HR was focused on emotional IQ in the effort to build a workforce that was less punitive and more 'professional'. I don't know if this push succeeded, what I saw was that when new POs were inserted into "bad cop" units, they often conformed with the prevalent culture.

but there has been slow change over decades. yet the "theres always one", or a few, that are aberrant. yet its a far cry from the 50/60/70s. the thing I've noticed is that CCTV has caught police being violent or attacking arrested people without cause. so the reported incidents can cause a rise in offences purely because they're being caught. this doesn't mean though that verbal violence doesn't still occur. threats can drive people to suicide at worst.

I don't think it's possible to rule out any mentally aggressive people from entering any employment position, even with advanced psychometric testing. a good psychopath will often give the answers required to conceal their real personality.

I've been alarmed by the number of cases where someone who is psychotic ends up being shot, killed, and I think its a problem associated with having guns constantly available, removing the need for police to use real intelligence to manage people. guns seem to be used more readily and maybe there needs to be specific authority to be obtained before a firearm is drawn. y'know, maybe a lock on each coppers sidearm which can only be released remotely by a Snr officer remote from the situation.

the Dutton situation is, imo, the result of s similar problem in politics. selection of candidates is using simplistic and populist principles. fund-raising and having one's name plastered all over an electorate is not a good guide to the principles which a person uses in everyday decision making. all the more reason to avoid voting for any political party candidate.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.