WOW 0.45% $34.17 woolworths group limited

"That the trading GP% has historically been way above 25%doesn’t...

1. 16,879 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8357
    "That the trading GP% has historically been way above 25%doesn’t make if fair or reasonable as you imply or an industry benchmark."

Please show how/where/why it is deemed that 25% is a magic, "fair and reasonable" GP Margin for grocery retailing in an economy structured like Australia, with its structural characteristics such a geography, demographics and population distribution.

Global capital is a mobile animal, with uncanny ability to go where excess margins and returns are to be had. Nothing is preventing some other entitiy(ies) from setting up business in Australia to undercut the egregious margins you claim WOW is garnering.

"Your margins are my opportunity" goes the saying in the capitalist world. Why then, one wonders, are WOW's margins not deemed by other enterprises to offer a great competitive opportunity, if those margins are so lucrative?

"The buffer gross profit deliberately managed into their GP% has funded untenably high operational expenses and overheads including excessive senior management and Board remuneration and bonuses leaving the consistently crafted low ~3% net profit we’ve been fed to be evidence of fair shelf pricing. Pathetic!"

That's little more than a garbled word salad.

Because if you are implying that the company and its auditors are fraudulently classifying overheads as Cost of Goods (thereby muting the reported GP Margin), when overheads represent a fixed Cost of Doing Business, then that's a mighty bold assertion that requires some substantiation.

Otherwise, if that's not the case, then who cares what WOW's Cost of Doing Business is?

If the company is wasteful in terms of excessive overheads and management remuneration, that's at the expense of the shareholders of the business. (And based on ... oh, just a hunch ...I suspect rather strongly that you aren't too concerned about the welfare of WOW shareholders.)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WOW (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.