I'm not sure why this voice is being made out to be the...

1. 798 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 69
    I'm not sure why this voice is being made out to be the boogeyman. It's discussion of a treaty which should have all the No voters shaking in their boots.

Take it from the indigenous communities themselves:
    Quotes taken from Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre – Voice, Treaty, Truth (tacinc.com.au)

"Being a creature of the federal parliament, the influence of the voice is limited to Canberra. A treaty, however, is Australia-wide – it binds state, territory and federal governments, courts, police, business and the public. This is because a national treaty is given the force of a federal law."

"The voice model cannot return land, will not deliver services, raise revenue or distribute money; it can only comment on federal political matters. The voice cannot pass laws or prevent laws from being made"

"If Tony McAvoy’s NT Treaty Commission Final report delivered in June 2022 is a template, a national treaty can return crown lands without going through native title processes; provide a guaranteed source of revenue, establish a national indigenous body to prioritise needs and distribute resources."

Vote yes and kick the treaty can down the road I say. It's a happy medium that brings some symbolic recognition but no wide-reaching power.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.