DVN 0.00% 23.5¢ devine limited

Qld govt to roll out building campaign 03/12/2003 04:18:38 PM...

1. 260 Posts.
    Qld govt to roll out building campaign
    03/12/2003 04:18:38 PM

The Queensland government will this month unroll plans for a $1 billion building splurge - as long as the government is re-elected.

Premier Peter Beattie said a series of plans, part of the $1 billion Smart State Building program, will be rolled out across Queensland in the lead-up to next year's state election.

However, Mr Beattie denied the staggered release of building plans through to Christmas was part of a phoney election campaign.

"We're going to do these everywhere because I've promised we would allocate that money to build a new Queensland," Mr Beattie told reporters.

"This is finishing the program we started three years ago.

"As these things are announced the planning work will begin and if we are re-elected then obviously we will implement it."

Mr Beattie said the plans were finalised last week.

The first component of the Smart State Building program is $100 million to be spent on infrastructure between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast.

Mr Beattie, who unveiled the first part of the program today, said the $100 million would fund three new schools, a community health centre, medical facilities, a court house, police stations and road infrastructure.

He said it was important to provide services where people live.

"Too often I think people see the premier at Suncorp Stadium and they don't see us doing what we do well and what we've been doing over the last few years," Mr Beattie said.

And with this will go new houses.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DVN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.