Dying- unfixable, page-7

1. 5,483 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 443
    The building industry led by Government is like two left feet. The industry bodies are besides themselves.

Here is an example, two years ago I warned the NSW building commissioner personally that the new ratings scheme would drive liquidations at a time when Australia needed more people in the building industry, not less. I also warned him, about the heavy handed approach that he and his department were taking against poor workmanship. I argued that instead of their name and shame policy they should adopt a program of education.

Here is a kicker, at a time the Government was crushing traditional Australian building firms in NSW and Queensland, the building commissioner was attending Chinese - Australian development industry symposiums praising their contributions I found this crazy, as at the time 95% of all Chinese Australian development firms were unable to even get the lowest rating in the ratings scheme.

Then, Claire O'Neil comes out and says, we need more immigration to assist with much needed jobs in the building industry. She said, and this policy is still being considered that they should relax some of the building regulations that would allow unlicensed immigrants to undertake certain jobs on a building site.

I feel the only way to improve the building industry is to give full control to long standing associations like the HIA, the Masters Builders Association, the AIBS and other recognised engineering associations because the Government, any Government have no idea.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.