“The total population in Australia was estimated at 25.2 million...

1. 7,180 Posts.
    “The total population in Australia was estimated at 25.2 million people in 2018, according to the latest census figures. Looking back, in the year of 1960, Australia had a population of 10.4 million people.”

This is a good discussion. But I have to say that the use of the word ‘exponential’ to describe Aust population growth is rather sensational. And I don’t think it is well beyond that Malthusian theory you referred to. If it did we’d be at 40 million.

In my view population growth fluctuates over time. It may have it’s periodical acceleration and deceleration due to economic factors and govt. policy, but to suggest exponential growth in birth rates and population is a bit difficult to back up.

Are you able to provide a chart (that hasn’t been manipulated) to show an example of a developed country experiencing ‘exponential’ population or birth rate growth in the past 50 years? I’d really be surprised if you could provide one.

The first thing you have to consider for there to be a possibility of exponential population growth is that the country needs to possess the ability to deliver exponential growth in the housing stock. Without a similar growth in the housing stock, it be very difficult for that level of pop growth to occur in a developed country like Aust. Particularly a country that would struggle to deliver vital resources like fresh water.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.