BCD 0.00% 3.5¢ bcd resources nl

earthquake, page-3

1. 1,205 Posts.
    re: earthquake - news report Miners trapped
    From AAP and Philippa Duncan, of The Mercury
    26apr06
    RESCUERS are preparing to send a remote-controlled camera underground to try to determine the fate of three miners trapped after an earthquake triggered a rockfall at a Tasmanian gold mine.

Grave fears are held for the three miners at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine, about 40km north-west of Launceston, who have not been heard from since the rockfall about 9.30pm (AEST) last night.

As their families endured an agonising wait for news, rescuers said a video camera would be sent into the blocked shaft to assess the damage.

“The situation is still dangerous to the point where we are unable to access the immediate area,” resident mine manager Matthew Gill said.

Mr Gill said rescue crews were doing “everything possible” to save the three men, who were working about a kilometre underground when trapped.

“We are currently rigging up a machine with a camera to go in remotely to get closer to the site.

“There is a second line of action which is the drilling of a second drive but that will take some time ... our priority is, in all efforts, in the search and rescue and we are doing everything possible.”

Mr Gill also revealed the men did not have access to emergency rescue chambers, but said: “That isn't an issue at this point in time.”

He declined to speculate about their options for survival inside the blocked mine shaft.

Eleven other miners were underground at the time of the incident but managed to scramble to safety.

At least one of the three trapped miners is a local man. Todd Russell is a keen Australian Rules footballer aged in his early 30s.

Todd's father, Noel said: "My son is one of the boys trapped down there, so I don't want to say too much at the moment."

When asked how the family was coping with situation, he said "very tough".

Chris Rundle, who runs the local Club Hotel, said Todd was a close friend and a keen Australian Rules footballer with the Tamar Cats.

"I am doing okay. I don't know a lot at the moment," he said.

Mr Rundle said he had contacted the local council to offer the services of his hotel to those involved in the rescue.

"I was thinking that maybe the kitchen could cook up something for the rescue workers," he said.

The miners were 925m underground when they lost contact and were known to be in the vicinity of the rockfall.

Mr Gill said all of the trapped men had been employed with the mine for several years and were experienced miners.

West Tamar Mayor Barry Easther said Beaconsfield was a small community and the residents would rally around families affected by the accident.

“They're coping reasonably well but it's very difficult when you're just waiting,” he said.

Tasmanian Resources Minister Bryan Green said a full investigation would be launched into the accident.

He said the men had been drilling in preparation for managed explosions at the time of the collapse.

“The (mine) management have indicated it is a significant fall. It is going to require some time to get to where the work was underway,” Mr Green said.

He said the collapse was an “absolute tragedy”.

“I am obviously concerned for the families of those people that are trapped in the mine at the moment. Of course our heart goes out to them ... and their families and the community of the West Tamar,” Mr Green said.

A close friend of one of the trapped men said his family had gathered together and were anxiously waiting for news.

“We have all got our fingers crossed at the moment. But he is a big boy and if anyone will get out of there, he will,” said the woman, who asked not to be named.

Geoscience Australia confirmed a minor earthquake of 2.1 magnitude occurred in the area of the mine collapse last night.

A local resident described the earthquake as frightening.

“I thought, what the heck was that,” Beaconsfield resident Wendy Garwood told ABC Radio.

“We usually have some mine blasting, but it was nothing like this.

“My china cabinet just rattled, and the floor underneath, it felt like the explosives were right under my house.”

The mine is the town's largest employer.

The Australian Workers' Union (AWU) said it would conduct its own investigation into working conditions at the mine.

West Tamar Deputy Mayor Max Burr said the tight-knit community was in a state of angst.

"(It's) absolutely horrendous, there will be a lot of concern, not only in Beaconsfield, but all around Tasmania everywhere," he said.

"It is a major concern and all you can do is feel for the families and the miners who are down and hope they're okay.

"Certainly there would be a lot of ... angst in the local community because whoever they are, they would be well known within the local community.

"I am quite hopeful that the community will be hoping and praying that the people get out all right, that would be the immediate response. I am quite sure there would be a lot of optimism they can get out alright."

A support centre for relatives and friends of the miners has been established at the West Tamar Council Chambers in Beaconsfield.

Concerned friends and family can contact an emergency hotline on 03 6383 6355.

With AAP and The Mercury

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BCD (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.