Were you aware of the deal made between the unions involved with...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    Were you aware of the deal made between the unions involved with the Wonthaggi desalination plant construction and the Brumby government? The unions have managed to ?negotiate? the very sweet deal of a flat rate of pay that is $5000 gross per week per person irrespective of their trade. If you?re on the construction crew, that?s a 2 year contract so you?ll earn close to $520,000.00 gross not including the flat $450 week living away from home allowance and the other standard EBA conditions such as leave etc still apply. So when you apply that wage bill to the reported 1700 people working at the site, it comes to a staggering 963.5 Million dollars. Working hours are 4x10hours (Mon-Thu) and 8 hour days on Fri-Sat. I wouldn?t mind a $5450 per week rate of pay for 2 years and a 56 hour week including the 6-7 weeks per year of annual and RDO based leave.
    http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/tips_for_sunday_february_28/desc/#commentsmore
    The maddening thing as a tax payer is that at the moment most of that construction crew is just sitting around idle as the site is still essentially a hole in the ground.

I found this out as my sister?s partner is a sprinkler fitter who has been offered a position there, and has spoken to other co-workers who are getting this extraordinary deal and are currently ?bored out of their brains? sitting around watching telly and reading newspapers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.