economic slowdown only temporary, page-18

1. 3,728 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    In all fairness, we shouldn't lay the blame with the Chinese. The blame lies directly with the majority of us. On one hand we have favoured cheaper imported products, which has been the incentive for retailers to stock up on the fast moving 'high profitability' goods. If the consumers then don't complain, if the retailers are making bigger profits, if more money exchanges hands as a result, if more people are employed selling the cheaper goods, if the government is boosted by the increased economic activity as a result, then the current situation should be of no surprise.

I've said it before that Australia, just like Europe, UK and America, is full of precious workers who believe they are worthy of big benefits and special rights. Fine - but on the other hand they/we/me choose to snub products made by our fellow workers and then proceed to buy with much vigour and gusto Chinese made goods. Would we boycott any product made here in Australia where the workers are denied their working right? Of course we wouldn't. So why is it okay to accept goods from a country that does not offer sick leave, and other essential benefits?

So yes it is annoying that we have locally produced products being displaced on the shelves by cheaper foreign goods, but we share the soul responsibility with this issue - if we all snubbed these goods and only chose local then we would not have this dilemma.

Another reason the western way of working is in need of a major shake up is that we can never tackle the Chinese head on when it comes to production efficiency under our current way of doing things. So if we want to deal with this nation, we need to aim to get on equal terms with them.

I'll give you an example. I went to the Gold Coast last month and noticed something very obvious. The souvenir shops were opened by the Asian workers very early in the mornings, and were well open until 10pm and sometimes later! And where were the Anglos? Oh, you could hear them - they were drinking and talking garbage all night at the Irish pubs. There was also a few internet cafes that opened at about 9am and stayed open till around 11pm - every night! Again these are Asians. They work hard, penny by penny they build their fortune, while we winge, drink, and go on strike for petty things like paternity leave, etc.

We need to change the mindset in the way we do everything. If we are not prepared to get on equal terms then don't do business with the Chinese - because they will win every time!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.