G'day Dave,I also read the AAP report you posted.It is...

1. 730 Posts.
    G'day Dave,

I also read the AAP report you posted.

It is interesting to note that the past few weeks has seen both Howard and Crean overseas visiting Europe and America respectively.

We've been through a quiet time in federal politics.

Noteworthy is the growing support for the Greens. Much of the current support has come form the Democrats rather than the ALP.

The division within the Democrats is much more serious than what most people understand.

The preselection of a number of sitting Senators for re-election to the Senate last year did not attract any media attention, however it is where real divisions began.

I wont mention names, but at least one sitting Senator (a Lees supporter) nearly lost her preselection against the Despoja gang. This nonsense in the public arena will definitely lead to a weakening of the primary vote to the Dems, and it will be picked up by the Greens.

The City of Yarra and a couple of other inner Melbourne Local Governments have a number of Greens represented. In fact, the Greens control more than one Council.

I do not see this trend changing in the near term.

The ALP and the Liberals have progressivley converged in terms of the management of the economy and in monetary policy generally.

The gradual convergance of mainstream political thought has, and will continue to present opportunities for minor parties to squeeze votes from the dissatisfied, middle class, swinging voters.

We saw it with Hanosonism and the Democrats and now the Greens.

For the Greens to have polled 18% in Tasmania is amazing - and it's not just to do with forests - as what some commentators are claiming.

I've just been reviewing the election results from Tasmania, ( Results ) and I think there is a lot the main political parties could learn.

It is also worth noting that the ALP's primary vote has been falling for about thirty years. Without the support (preferences) from minor parties and independents, the ALP would not be governing anywhere.

Regards,

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.