When is 50 million insurance not enough?Farmer fears potential...

1. 4,317 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 724
    When is 50 million insurance not enough?

Farmer fears potential public liability insurance risks living next door to Neoen's Culcairn solar farm

Farmer fears potential public liability insurance risks living next door to Neoen's Culcairn solar farm - ABC News

"

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure said the department was aware of concerns being raised by stakeholders and it was continuing consultation with the insurance industry.

The department has released a draft policy framework document that aims to provide guidance on solar, wind, and transmission projects.

"

Greenwashing exposed on costs and liabilities in energy transition is also in AFR today

"GenCost calculates the cost of various energy projects over 30 years.

Nuclear power plants provide always-on power for households and businesses for more than 80 years. Solar panels typically last up to about 30 years, after which they are old and inefficient. Wind turbines last up to about 25 years. Batteries for energy storage last up to about 15 years and may in the future reach 20 years.

After these renewables expire, billions of dollars must be spent – again – on replacements.

The environmentally damaging materials, such as huge amounts of scrap metals, must be replaced. Hopefully, they are recycled.

Repeated investment cycles are required.

For solar panels, replacements are needed 2.7 times over 80 years. For wind turbines, replacements are required 3.2 times over 80 years. For batteries, replacements are needed four to five times over 80 years.

Hence, the cost of energy sources should be benchmarked over a “like for like” whole-of-life period.

If not 80 years, then at least halfway between the 20-30-year life of renewables and the much longer life of a large nuclear power plant. Let’s call it, say, 50 years.

The CSIRO says it uses 30 years because it is the time commercial finance is usually available before repayment is required."

Personally, I doubt Australia nuclear fears which have had 50 + years of Nuclear war mixed up with power will change until we see the Koreans and New Nuclear builds bring the cost down as it's almost certainly going to for both SMR and larger nuclear plants. I love my two solar system and my works UPS batteries ( 2 * 10kWh Redflow batteries for vaccine fridges) Not anti wind or solar. They work to a point just not 24/7 * 365 year after year for 4, 10, 20, 30 , 40, 50 ......

The short duration storage which clearly is far shorter than the weeks or longer than would be required for back up power is not going to occur. Snowy 2 big pumped battery is a wonderful idea. Failure sadly in cost and other aspects including the environmental damage in our National Park.

Suspect I will be happily retired on my investments in Nuclear fuels and energy while the debate in Australia and Germany shows a fantastic large lack of honest science.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.