Yes, but when you brown do you use flour on the meat before...

1. 28,449 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    Yes, but when you brown do you use flour on the meat before browning? It is the absorption of liquid into the flour which creates the problem, according to one writer, who says never, never, never use flour in a pc. My pc is a small but very solid one with a thick base. Even when I've made an error (rare, lol), I can clean off the "burn" as I soak and the next day (or two), manage to lift off the burn. Because it is a small pc, I'd prefer to brown meat quickly in a bigger ss flat casserole saucepan (if that makes sense), so yes another thing to wash. I also have a slow cooker and still choose to use that for certain reasons. Interestingly, the slow cooker is best without the addition of liquids or near liquids like cans of tomatoes whereas the pc absolutely must have liquids, preferably water. It is that balance which is more problematic otherwise sometimes my casserole doubles for a soup, plus a casserole. Still makes a good soup, lol.

Added some mushrooms the other day, right in the last bit of cooking to my pc meal. They almost disappeared but a good way to use those mushies which were in need of using (too long on fridge).

I like both my pc and my slow cooker. I use a timer switch on the slow cooker and cook my bowl of oats (porridge) most evenings ready for lifting out of the bowl to eat for breakfast. It is just a luxury to have it there waiting for me. It doesn't deteriorate even if I don't eat it until 9 am or before 7 am. Very creamy....

I agree with your discriminate addition "programme". When I cook, I put very large chunks of carrots into the pc because they cook beautifully that way.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.