shame isnt it - 2-3 years after segundo has peaked and we still...

1. 3,331 Posts.
    shame isnt it - 2-3 years after segundo has peaked and we still rate him a good chance to knock off the cox - not a bad thing in itself, but where are the replacements - where are the new generation to take over ?

its been many years since weve had a consistent group of 3YO capable of knocking off the open class WFA races, despite the sometimes huge weight advantage.

i recall two years where the 3YO's have stood out but for different reasons. 1985-86 saw the 3yo's win just about everything on offer - open class stakes races were at their mercy. compare that to 1993-94 when i dont recall one 3yo winning an open class stakes race.

what is it that has made such a change - it is the way yearlings are raised - theres plenty of evidence to suggest a lot of 'assistance' was given to yearlings in the 80's to make them grow early, but the testing of the last 20 years has halted that practice. is it different training methods in recent years to assist in prolonging the career of the likes of FOO & segundo. is it new technology racetracks like the valley, or the current preference for dead rated tracks.

thoughts anyone ?

(just a footnote - that 93-94 year saw mahogany thrash everything thrown at him - as long as it was a 3yo. he failed to win one open class stakes race as a 3yo, as did any 3yo that year, yet they gave him horse of the year honours. a more overrated horse i cannot recall, despite his efforts in later years)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.