Electric cars not the best option, page-1634

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Hi Jim

Sorry, I am afraid I do not quite get the point you are trying to make with your comment.

All of my questions to HHOgas were genuine and not meant to be humorous nor imply anything by how they are being answered. They were just meant to form the basis of an on-going discussion.

The one questions where I suggested a "yes/no" answer related to government support for R&D.

Although I am generally of the view that government ought not subsidise entire industries, I do believe that early stage government support for promising new technology - particularly where Australia can establish or maintain a world-leading technology edge - is a good and necessary thing. However, as a technology/industry matures, it ought not depend on government subsidy.

My questions to HHOgas were aimed at getting a feel for what impact he/she sees the hydrogen sector having over the short/medium/long term.

I often state that coal is dead and EVs are the future of road transportation. I do realise that these statement are made against a backdrop of many coal power stations still merrily chugging along and EV market penetration in Australia still at less than 1%. However, I also believe that this reality is rapidly shifting in favour of renewable energy and EVs. Look at South Australia, where a Liberal state government is targeting 100% renewable electricity supply by 2030 - who would have thought?

But where does hydrogen fit in? Yes, it is possible to make hydrogen cars and export hydrogen from Australia to Japan, but how likely is it that this is actually going to happen? What realistic milestones is HHOgas keeping track of to see whether or not his vision is taking shape? Put aside random attention grabbing headlines, what are the numbers that we should expect to see according to a hydrogen fan boy/girl?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.