Hi acornI did listen to this most informative podcast.Some...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Hi acorn

I did listen to this most informative podcast.

Some interesting observations and data.

Just some salient snippets:

Predicting 75c/kg hydrogen generating cost in OZ.... by 2050
    However, transport cost from Oz to Japan would be $2/kg... hmmm

While locally produced hydrogen in Japan would cost $1.6/kg.

Only opportunity if Japan just physically cannot produce sufficient hydrogen itself.

Brown hydrogen (which politicians in Australia appear to be considering a viable avenue) not likely to EVER be competitive.

Makes more sense to value add in Australia and export end-product.

Overwhelming issue is that policy signals are not there.

GLOBALLY, the transition to green hydrogen would require an estimated $150billion over 10 years in subsidies for hydrogen demonstration [projects, before carbon pricing and policies that generate demand for hydrogen kick in.

This $150billion OVER 10 YEARS has to be viewed in the context of $300b in subsidies PER ANNUM on fossil fuel consumption and $150billion PER ANNUM for other renewable energies.

Basically, they also ruled out hydrogen technology for passenger cars as well as light trucks, but did see application in (what I would consider absolute niche markets) of super heavy heavy duty monster trucks.

So, as far as this thread is concerned, I am again fairly confident that for passenger cars and most trucks driven on public roads, EVs are most likely to be the best option.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.