Electric cars not the best option, page-1984

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202

Hi Quamera

Given all the - in my imho unjustified - criticism of electric vehicles here on this forum, I was NOT pointing this out in jest.

It was just a factual observation:

The first beta of FSD software has been released on an EV in a general traffic situation.

I sort of disagree with you, when you say that FSD software can be applied to other types of cars. The economics will mean that while physically possible to put FSD on ICE cars, it will NEVER make financial sense to do so. In the end, I believe people will find the same applies to hydrogen fuel cell and other vehicle technologies brought up on this forum as "better options" to BEVs..

Other than me getting the location of the words "worst" and "wrong" mixed up in my post, I do NOT have a problem with Tesla's wording of the warning. They can not put it in any plainer English than that and the company would get crucified if they did not give appropriate warnings.

As someone who takes safety quite seriously, who is extraordinarily keen to see the advent of autonomous cars, is a Tesla shareholder and drives a Tesla, I have a much much bigger problem with the behaviour of the clowns posting videos of themselves testing the FSD beta.

Keep in mind that Tesla said that the beta will be released to a small number of particularly safe or competent drivers first. Also, keep in mind these warning words:

"...you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention"

"DO NOT BECOME COMPLACENT"

... so, in the dark, one of their first rides, almost the first turn with FSD engaged - having no idea how well or how badly the vehicle is going to handle the manoeuvre, we see THIS?!?

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2593/2593609-51036a0d7820fb397ce4c548e5ab2f17.jpg

If I was Tesla, I would immediately remove these kind of drivers from the beta program and look for more responsible participants. Indeed by not doing so, I think Tesla might open itself to far more potential liability than through the wording of its release notes.

If in the above situation anything unexpected happened, in a split second the driver would have to change his brain's mindset from "this car can do it" to "Houston we have a problem", think about what to do... figure out that an intervention is required... place hands on the steering wheel... we do not even know what he is doing with his feet... then do exactly the right thing, while having lost a few milliseconds due to BEING COMPLACENT!

I have seen other videos of drivers not holding the steering wheel or mention that when they come up to an unusual/challenging situation for the first time that there is a car right behind them, etc... imho they should not be testing FSD in those situations! How about many posters actually having other passengers in the vehicle as they are testing FSD for the first time - is that really a good idea?!? I am not even talking about distracting passengers as in the above example...

Again, I am dead keen for the early adoption of autonomous driving and I am all for Tesla allowing drivers to upload their experience on social media, so the general public can learn about the capability and limitations of the FSD beta.

In the above case, I agree with you Quamera, .... i.e. that the nut behind the wheel needs to be abandoned ASAP.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.