Kingpins I once had an LPG car. A lovely (V8!) holden statesman....

1. 84 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    Kingpins I once had an LPG car. A lovely (V8!) holden statesman. Paid for the conversion. It was dual fuel.
    Drove well, really could not see any difference to petrol. LPG has lower energy content- you more litres to go the same distance- but no matter as it was cheaper per litre. Very hard to sell - everyone thought it was a taxi in a former life, despite low milage.

I completely agree with you LPG would be a great way to be energy independent for many decades.
    I also was a great champion of this for some time.
    Why are we selling LPG for nothing overseas and not mandating the use of LPG here?

We only really had one manufacturer of LPG cars, Ford, and that was essentially for the taxi market.
    The taxi industry rapidly moved to hybrids for one reason - it was cheaper.
    Why was it cheaper? Because the government's ploy was to increase taxes on LPG every year, until it became ultimately uncompetitive.
    Very few cars use LPG now, and service stations are dismantling their tanks. A real pity.

Now, of course, with no local product you would have to retrofit cars imported in Australia with LPG, usually losing most of the boot- particularly in small and midsize cars.
    Not impossible for sure.

But I think, on balance, the likely scenario and course of action is the world is moving to EVs rather than Australia moving to LPG. A shame really. However given this, I am an advocate for EVs.

So Kingpins I have nothing against locally sourced LPG, heck I don't care if we use coal dust, as long we stop sending a kings ransom to the Arab oil states every year in foreign exchange which is essentially pure profit for them, and have genuine Australian energy security.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.