I'm not being critical of Blakers in any way. I respect his...

1. 35,559 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

I'm not being critical of Blakers in any way. I respect his views and his work. It's just that in my experience sometimes the theory doesn't pan out as smoothly as some would like.

I have a strong view that people like Blakers should have a seat at the table. He is a great example of the smart, experienced experts we have in this country that are available. Home grown experts that we should be utilising for Australia.

Why aren't we getting all these people in the room at the same time ? Instead we are getting a stacked group of people possibly making biased decisions. mad.png

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/23/covid-commission-boss-nev-power-steps-back-at-gas-company-amid-conflict-of-interest-concerns

We should be building, or working toward building, some strategically placed phs right now. The trouble is, we aren't working on a long term plan. It is pretty clear where we are going to end up in the future with regard to energy storage. The planning is crucial in order to make this as quick and efficient as possible. Unfortunately, there is no plan so there is nothing to argue against when silly gas proposals and the like are put forward.

I reckon you've misinterpreted my view on supporting existing coal.

It ties in with the lack of storage until 50-60% renewables idea.

At the moment we need coal. In 2020 we can't do without it. We can't start introducing more renewables without infrastructure ( storage plus connections ) because if we do, we will see more instability.

We need coal to help us get to 99% renewables. What we don't want is to end up with avoidable shocks like the coal shutdowns in SA and in Victoria with Hazelwood and the one that Andy Vesy threatened with Liddell. They way we are going at the moment with a lack of policy, we are destined to have more shocks.
    Privately run companies will get to a point where they will just say " too bad, we're shutting this power station down " despite what the government wants. We saw it with Engie at Hazelwood. Despite the treasurer of Victoria flying to Paris at the last minute to meet with the board of Engie, it was still shutdown.

The result ? The consumer got it in the neck.

Make no mistake, this isn't in support of cfp per se. This is in support of sensible policy that will make sure we don't get price shocks, power shortages and business disruptions. We need a progressive plan that will allow power companies to transition smoothly. Business has been asking for some kind of mechanism for more than a decade. The BCA was happy to accept Turnbull's NEG as a way to get the ball rolling and tweak it along the way. The NEG would've provided certainty for business to invest in the future. They don't have that now. At the moment they are shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Companies that operate large coal fired power stations now have an attractive asset in their grid connections. Large sites with hv grid connections and all the support services they need.
    We have already seen how renewable projects can utilise existing infrastructure to maximise their potential. As per Blakers preso, rather than build solar and wind in the perfect spot a long way from the grid, build them adjacent to the existing infrastructure and make use of it.
    Existing power stations can be both potential connection sites for new generation and storage , but they can also be supply sites for new industries. If we get to the point where we have large amounts of renewable energy that is very cheap, then businesses that were previously unviable due to power prices can be built at those sites because the infrastructure and the workforce is already there.

However, without a plan, this opportunity will be lost.

I think by utilising some existing coal cleverly and building some phs sooner rather than later, we could avoid having to build any more fast start gas infrastructure at all. Don't forget that to build this gas generation, you're going to have to develop these gas assets ( national pipeline ??? ) that we don't have. We are short on gas now and there are no real big prospects on the east coast. Seems like it's money that we should be diverting to energy storage and grid upgrades and simply bypassing this extra gas step altogether.

It's something that should certainly be debated by the experts. Not the government lackies.

I guess when you step back and look at it, the underlying problem is that we are missing a 50 year plan. We know where we need to end up. We know we have the ability to do it. We simply don't have a solid plan and because of that, all these issues that we have discussed continue to impede progress.

Pretty frustrating .......frown.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.