I have on a number of occasions highlighted the fact that by...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    I have on a number of occasions highlighted the fact that by reducing air pollution, EVs reduce the burden on the health care system.

The following article is the first study by - amongst others - the Ontario Public Health Association, that I have come across that puts a number on the estimated savings per car.

The study applies to the "Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area" in Canada (population of ~7 million people), so perhaps not all that dissimilar to some of Australia's large cities. A link to the report can be found here:

https://clearingtheair.ca

The report notes the following:

Our modelling shows that a shift to electric cars and SUVs (EVs) will mean 313 fewer premature deaths per year while newer, cleaner trucks will mean 275 fewer premature deaths annually. Shifting to 100 per cent electric cars and SUVs would provide up to $2.4 billion per year in social benefits, electrifying all public transit buses would provide up to $1.1 billion per year, and shifting to more efficient trucks would provide up to $2.1 billion per year. ...

.... For example, in a scenario where all cars and SUVs are electric, a single EV replacing a gas-powered car brings $9,850 in social benefits, justifying significant spending to get more EVs on the road quickly.

So every single EV provides about AU$10,000 in "social benefits" to society at large, by avoiding deaths from ICE car air pollution.

Actually, this AU$10,000 "social benefit" per EV does not even include the actual health care cost benefits arising from cleaner air. It ONLY relates to the "Value of Statistical Life" (VSL) by avoiding deaths from ICE car air pollution, as indicated in the following explanatory note:

HOW DID WE CALCULATE SOCIAL BENEFITS?

We calculated social benefits using a measure known as the Value of Statistical Life (VSL). This represents how much people are willing to pay to reduce their risk of death. For instance, it can include the wage premium required to attract employees to do dangerous work, or the willingness to pay for improved vehicle safety features. VSL captures the value of reduced risk of premature death, but does not include health care costs. As vehicle electrification will lead to both health and social benefits, the economic valuation of electrification is even greater than the social benefit amounts calculated for this report.

Interesting I thought.

So, every EV bought that replaces an ICE car, is like the new owner making a voluntary $10k+ tax payment to the benefit of the health care system for society at large...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.