Electric cars not the best option, page-1612

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    As an electric Fan Boy I note that today marks a special day that ought not pass without comment.

Last night, while most of us little possums were asleep, an emerging EV manufacturer has overtaken Toyota Motor Corporation as the largest car manufacturer in the world... NOT [yet] in terms of vehicles manufactured, but in terms of market capitalisation.

Last night Tesla Inc. closed at US$1,025.05 per share, giving it a market cap of US$190b , which compares to Toyota Motor Corporation at US$182b as of last night's market close.

The irony of this is the fact that the final 9% jump in the share price came about in part from Elon circulating a note to staff that the Tesla Semi is ready for "volume production".

While some of you might still remember posts on this very thread stating as Gospel truth that only a diesel [or hydrogen] powered truck has the "grunt" to move heavy loads, I note that Tesla quotes its Semi being capable of going from 0 to 100km/h in 20 sec (fully loaded to 36 tonnes). Other specs include the following (all dollar amounts are in US$):

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2219/2219046-0b2cb63a7840cb4d875b57fa04caa920.jpg

While discussion on this forum has mostly centred on passenger vehicles, trucks are actually far better suited to becoming electric due to their much higher utilisation rates - i.e. they are driven much more than cars, so the fuel saving is significantly higher than for ICE trucks. This can be gleaned from the US$200,000+ fuel savings mentioned in the above.

In other words, electric trucks are even more of a no-brainer than electric passenger vehicles.

But do not take my word for it!

Just look at the Tesla share price... it is telling you a story!

PS: Although this is a "politics" post, I do declare an interest in some Tesla shares - though I do not believe anything I ever write could possibly move the Tesla share price in either direction!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.